If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Kitbash
Kitbash
Admin
https://kitbashkorner.wordpress.com/

Opening Grilles - Kitbash Empty Opening Grilles - Kitbash

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:21 am
one thing that can really add eye appeal to a build is having a see through grille

this is how i go about it

starting with a grille from a 62 chevy
Opening Grilles - Kitbash IMG_1323_zpscd2b0e89

i start with a coarse file and begin removing material from the back of the grille area
Opening Grilles - Kitbash IMG_1325_zpse7d5e1ca

take your time here, this took about 15 minutes of light filing, you do not want to damage the area you plan to use, just remove excess material. here half of the grille is filed to the point the plastic is basically see through in the soon to be open areas
Opening Grilles - Kitbash IMG_1326_zps443e15b0

Opening Grilles - Kitbash IMG_1327_zps16c3670a

now to clean it up i used the tip of a #11 hobby blade and carefully scraped out the excess plastic from the backside
Opening Grilles - Kitbash IMG_1328_zps3577bde4

you can see how much material i have actually removed when you compare it to the other side that i have not started on yet
Opening Grilles - Kitbash IMG_1329_zps4f97f692

a view from the front
Opening Grilles - Kitbash IMG_1330_zps51ba9cce

now its time to repeat the process on the other side
Opening Grilles - Kitbash IMG_1331_zps989a25e8

all opened up
Opening Grilles - Kitbash IMG_1332_zpsdc0a2595

now i will warn you, you cannot do this with all grilles in all kits, some are just cast way too shallow to leave enough plastic to be stable.

good luck on whatever you try it out on
fletch
fletch
http://www.fletcher-db.com

Opening Grilles - Kitbash Empty Re: Opening Grilles - Kitbash

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:15 am
I've seen this done with a dremel, as well. I would be a bit worried with the dremel, afraid that I would melt it, but, a file like this might be more my style.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum