one of the fb groups has a build off going where you had to build a 50's kit... figured i would jump in on it to see if i can sneak in some build time here and there.
sad thing is, didnt see any rules posted when i looked, and come to find out, i started the build 1 day too early so i knocked myself out of the running right off the bat.
not that i was in it for the prizes or anything, could care less. was an excuse to try to get back in the hobby room a bit, even if it is only for 10-15 mins at a time over the next few weeks.
but since i have the kit opened anyhow..imma build it
gonna start with this
the goal here is a very mild custom with a minor chop top, different sneakers, and maybe a few engine upgrades along the way.
on initial inspections, this is one of the cleanest , most well detailed kits i have seen in a long time.
body had only 2 small mold lines to begin with which sanded right off.
doing what i call a ghetto chop on this one, no tape, just an eyeball job
out comes the razor saw
i split the rear to allow me to lay the roof down a bit and get the length i need to make the lines flow
front section glued in place
rear section tacked down
i use 2 part auto spot filler for the initial filling, it dries by chemical reaction and not evaporation so once it is dry it will not shrink any more over time
a post it notepad makes a great bodywork pallet
first application of tiller in place ( yes that is Leviathan in the background )
20 mins later i sanded down the first coat of filler
i am removing the drip rails for ease of bodywork, i will add them back later with small styrene rod
will need a second coat of filler to even things out and hit the small gaps i missed on the first run
this one i am using single stage spot filler, its darker and alot thinner application than my first pass so shrinking wont be a problem later. also this will have a few days to cure before i will be touching it again
i grab some of the other pieces out of the box
engine and radiator to be exact lol
have i told anyone latley how much i love my wife.... when she went to visit her family in the UK she got me a bit of a present that i have been itching to try out
lets try out a bit of brass for the radiator
30lb through the airbrush, looks the business to me
that went on so nice, now i have to try a few others... like aluminum
yep same great coverage even with no base coat
now for the real test, the chrome, i always shoot a black base when applying chrome coatings. this time i am trying without
surprisingly shiny considering i didnt use a base...happy me
ok thats all i have time for atm so i will get another update up here when i can