If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Custom Mike
Custom Mike
http://members.fotki.com/customike/about/

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 Empty Re: 1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:57 am
Moving along to some chassis work. I started by painting the frame rails semi-gloss black.....

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck390-vi

A bit of semi-gloss black on the front and rear suspension....

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck391-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck393-vi

And the suspension parts glued in place on the chassis.

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck394-vi

I painted the disc brake rotors with some Metalizer Steel, the calipers with Tamiya Clear Green, and pronounced them good! Once the shocks are installed, we'll have a nearly completed chassis!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck395-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 Empty Re: 1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:59 am
I got the roof panel repair cleaned up, and so far, it's looking great!

A shot of the underside, it's not really gonna be seen once it's in place, but I still wanted it to look good!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck396-vi

From above, nice and even with the drip rail!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck397-vi

A bit of careful sanding will be needed here, but it's not too bad!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck398-vi

Once it was sanded, a tiny bit of filler was needed for some pinholes....

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck399-vi

All sanded down, we'll see how it looks with a bit of primer thrown at it!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck400-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:00 am
The roof panel wearing some primer/sealer...I've got one tiny bit of filler to sand down at the back edge of the filler piece, but otherwise it's perfect!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck402-vi

Next up is getting started on the bed. I glued some angle strip on the side of the bed, two pieces were used. I'll have slats on the top and bottom of this bed, unlike the '50 Chevy which had one solid piece of basswood on the bottom and slats on the top. I'm also going to have a piece of .030 sheet styrene between the pieces of basswood this time around, mainly to have something to glue the retaining straps between the pieces of wood to.

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck403-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck404-vi

If you look closely at the angle styrene glued to the bed, you'll see that it has a ripple in it...the bed wall is still not flat, even after all that sanding! I'll sand the angle piece to straighten it out once the glue has fully set, maybe it'll satisfy my OCD over things like that!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck405-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:00 am
A quick mock-up with two pieces of basswood and some .030 strip, it fits between the angle retainers perfectly!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck406-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck407-vi

I added the top angle strip to the other side of the bed, but not the bottom yet, I was waiting for the two pieces of .030 strip to dry on the bottom edge. Since it was recessed there, the lower strip would end up too far away from the basswood slat to hold it, so I brought the bottom edge out to the level of the rest of the bed sides.

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck408-vi

And a shot from above, that's all for the bed tonight, gotta make sure the glue is good and dry before I do the rest of the work on it!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck409-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:01 am
Changing gears again, we're back on the hood now. I got the filler sanded down on the passenger side and shot it with some primer, and it looks good. I still have a slight problem though, the hood is either down fully on the passenger side, or sticking up on the driver's side front corner. It's the hood for sure, it's just slightly warped, but I'm gonna live with it, since I can display it with the hood up...the kit hinges actually hold the hood up beautifully!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck410-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck411-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck412-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 20 ToneysTributeTruck413-vi
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum