If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Kitbash
Kitbash
Admin
https://kitbashkorner.wordpress.com/

A Primer for Paint and Primer Empty A Primer for Paint and Primer

Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:59 am
Paint n Primer
Was asked today about paints....and primers....

this is not going to be an all inclusive article but rather a quick briefing to explain the differences between certain things.

since primers go on first, lets start with those.

what is a primer?

a primer is a coating sprayed on the kit plastic that:

1. acts as a barrier coat to protect the plastic from hot carrier fluids like lacquer thinner, acetone and mineral spirits. ( if you use acrylic paints, this point is null and void)

2. by its flat appearance, it allows you to easily spot flaws in the kit ( mold lines, flash, sink holes, incomplete bodywork ) that you would likely miss if the kit plastic was still glossy.

3. provides a uniform color foundation for your finish coats of paint, and when done properly, helps paint stick to the kit better.

what is primer not?

1. paint- simply put, flat paint is not a primer although i see some people use it as such occasionally. trying to use paint as a primer, you run the risk of violating number 1 above and crazing the plastic with the carrier chemicals in the paint.

2. Primer will not hide flaws, it is meant to highlight them so they can be taken care of prior to your finish coats.

you have a choice between what type of primer to use.

there are enamel ( rustoleum ) lacquer ( duplicolor ) and acrylic ( vallejo, stynylrez )

sidenote: i have recently switched over to strictly using just acrylic primer, once fully cured they are essentially bullet proof. you can shoot anything over them without problems.

if you are painting your kit in enamels or acrylics, you can use any of the 3 types of primer without a problem.

if you plan to use lacquer ( i mean real lacquer, not the acrylic lacquer variant ) you will want to use the lacquer or acrylic primer. as the carrier in lacquer paint is considered 'hot' and will lift enamel primer.

if this happens you will need to strip the paint and start over. ( paint stripping is a different article)

Paints...

now there are 5 different types of paint i currently use.

1 acrylic ( vallejo, ak interactive, lifecolor, testors acryl, aeromaster, craft paints )

2 enamel ( humbrol, testors, model master )

3 lacquer ( testors metalizers, alclad, ak interactive metalizers, duplicolor, nail polish )

4 modified acrylics ( Rusto acrylic enamel/acrylic lacquer )

5 hybrid acrylic (tamiya)

do you now what 4 out of 4 of these have in common?

all except group 1, the acrylics, can be thinned with lacquer thinner, or cellulose thinner depending on where in the world you are. don't go buying the top of the line, most expensive lacquer thinners. the cheaper variety actually seems to give better results.

mix them in a mixing cup until they are the consistence of skim milk and set your airbrush to 15/20 psi and get to work. ( play with the psi until you get the coverage you want as the humidity and temp will be factors in getting correct flow.)

the reason i listed tamiya as a hybrid is because it can be thinned with isopropyl rubbing alcohol, lacquer thinner, their own x20a thinner is alcohol based.

acrylics and be thinned with different mixtures as well. ( you will always get the best performance from a paint by using the thinner that was intended to be used with it.) i have seen people use screen wash, rubbing alcohol mixed with water, water on its own.

if you do not have the manufacturers thinner to hand, you can try one of the home brew thinners people post all over. but be warned, some do not work with certain paints and can make a mess.

no pics this time through

hopefully the words can help point someone in the right direction somewhere down the line.

i am sure i missed some key points here and there, feel free to drop me a line using the contact form on here so i can make amendments as needed.

thanks for your time

cya soon
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum