If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Custom Mike
Custom Mike
http://members.fotki.com/customike/about/

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 Empty Re: 1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:38 pm
And as promised, the intake tube cut off. Once it was cut, I ran an X-Acto blade around the inside to thin the wall out a bit more to make it look better, it was pretty thick!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck288-vi

I drilled out the floor panel so the intake tube could pass through it. The hole is a bit bigger, but it's not like this part needs to be waterproof, it's inside!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck289-vi

After mocking the intake tube up again with the floor in place, it looks like my angle is a bit off...I marked it and re-cut it, so it's a good fit now!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck290-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 Empty Re: 1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:39 pm
Here's the screen I'm going to use on the end of the intake tube...well, actually on the plate, since it's easier to attach it to the plate than the tube!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck286-vi

Yeah, that's some seriously fine mesh!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck287-vi

A tiny piece was cut, and applied to the backside of the plate...

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck291-vi

Extreme close-up anyone?

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck292-vi

Once the superglue dried, I sanded the plate down and polished it up, I'm still not sure if I'm going to leave it brass, or paint it with some Metalizer Stainless Steel, we'll see how it looks once the boat is painted.

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck293-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:21 pm
The next step was to get the area the intake plate will go recessed. I cut a piece of the brass to match the intake plate, laid it in the hole and covered it with filler. Once it cures, I'll sand it smooth and pop the plate free, the see if my actual plate fits!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck294-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck295-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck296-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:22 pm
I sanded the filler down and popped the brass filler piece out, cleaned up the opening a bit, then laid the actual intake plate in place, and added a bit more filler to cover the gaps along the edges. I should be able to sand this down tomorrow night and hopefully be done with this part!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck297-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck298-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck299-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:23 pm
The next few posts are all about the wonderful hood in this kit. Having ruined the first one, I took a slow, deliberate approach to the second hood. I stated by gluing the sides to the hood first this time, making sure they lined up with the cab. Once they had set for a week and I was sure they were not going to move, I set the front piece in place and glued it down to match the lines on the top of the hood, not really worrying about the sides. Once the glue had set, I had a nasty gap on each side where it meets the lower front, but it sits perfectly on the cab, so now I needed to fix the gaps. A bit of strip styrene was glued into the gap to fill the holes, so far, it still fits!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck306-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck307-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck308-vi

In this last pic, you can see the mismatch between the sides and front piece, that's gonna be fun to get straight! But it fits, so I can fix any other issues at this point, it's only plastic!
1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 15 ToneysTributeTruck309-vi
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum