If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Custom Mike
Custom Mike
http://members.fotki.com/customike/about/

51 Chevy Custom - Page 2 Empty Re: 51 Chevy Custom

Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:49 am
Kitbash wrote:
Custom Mike wrote:I don't have the testicular fortitude to chop a top yet

lol with all the other detailing you do it would be cake work for you bud. tis only plastic after all

The detailing part comes easy to me, chopping a top and opening doors....that part has always been a place I didn't want to go. But now that I have a hinge bending jig, I'm gonna try my hand at opening up some stuff, so a chopped top can't be far off for me!
Kitbash
Kitbash
Admin
https://kitbashkorner.wordpress.com/

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:38 am
ok a bit further along on the chop process

did some rough sanding and if i were smart i would have added a bit more crown to the roofline as it would have made the job easier, but who said i was smart??? shurrup tina!! lol

as it sits, after the rough sand, i can see the depression i have to fill to smooth things out
51 Chevy Custom - Page 2 IMG_1441_zpshoc4uhhr

also while i am at it i am going to remove the current molding and replace it once the chop is done with .020 round rod
51 Chevy Custom - Page 2 IMG_1442_zpszr2oad2j

front window molding is to be replaced as well
51 Chevy Custom - Page 2 IMG_1443_zpspguvxonb

after a bit of file work to clean up the sides a bit i check the profile to see if it is heading in the right direction
51 Chevy Custom - Page 2 IMG_1444_zpsc818tcku

yup, it is
now a closer look at the depression in the roof
51 Chevy Custom - Page 2 IMG_1445_zpsf5bjkksa

you can see the high spots ( where the primer is gone ) and the low spots ( where you can still see the primer )
the goal will be to get both of these on the same plane so it is smooth
while i use spot putty for the shallow smaller bits, an area this large i tend to use 2 part automotive body filler. it does not shrink over time and sets up to be sandable in about 20 mins.
51 Chevy Custom - Page 2 IMG_1446_zps5qxgubed

after the initial sanding
51 Chevy Custom - Page 2 IMG_1447_zpsuh70xmuy

most of it is smooth right now so i will use the spot filler to take care of the little remaining bits
51 Chevy Custom - Page 2 IMG_1447_zpsuh70xmuy

gonna let that set up for a bit and hopefully get back to it later today

i have a shower to install but i should still get a bit of time on my day off in the dungeon

cya soon
Custom Mike
Custom Mike
http://members.fotki.com/customike/about/

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:20 am
See, stuff like that is why I've avoided chops, it's so easy to screw up and get a weird looking roof. But like you said, it's just plastic, and Bondo and me are good buddies...I'm gonna have to do it soon!
fletch
fletch
http://www.fletcher-db.com

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:53 pm
It is looking pretty good, so far. Very Happy
Gary Parker

51 Chevy Custom - Page 2 Empty re; 51 Chevy Custom

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:21 am
Good Work Sir. I'd like to get that kit just to try it., Of course I'd follow your Tutorial to the "t" LOL. Excellent pictures & explanations for all steps!! You've just convinced me to go get 1 & do it ,Seriously ,Thank you Mr. Kitbash. GOD BLESS!!!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum