If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

If you enjoy the aritcles and builds posted here please take the time to register. it lets me know if it is worth it to keep posting information.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Custom Mike
Custom Mike
http://members.fotki.com/customike/about/

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 Empty Re: 1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:51 am
I mocked-up the interior for the boat along with the engine. I had to cut the floorboard at the front down quite a bit, because it wouldn't fit with the side panels in place. I also had to sand the sides of the seat (Only on the back side) for the same reason, it just wouldn't fit with the side panels in place. But overall, it looks really good together, I hope I can get the paint fixed soon, because I need to get water intake line cut and installed!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck537-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck538-vi

I also got the fuel tank set up at the rear of the boat, with the fuel line attached...

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck539-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck540-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck541-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 Empty Re: 1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:52 am
Next, I glued the steps onto the trailer. A bit of reshaping was needed at the corners of the trailer to get all four of the steps to fit tightly. but that wasn't too hard.

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck542-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck543-vi

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck544-vi

I also got the trailer hitch painted and installed on the truck's frame. I found I'm gonna have to add a bit of wight to the nose of the boat, otherwise, the trailer tips backwards due to the weight of the engine!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck545-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:53 am
Now, for a bit more insanity as far as details go. I decided the winch on the trailer needed to be more than just a spool with nothing on it. So I grabbed a piece of stranded 18 gauge wire, and wrapped it up to look like rope. I'll either paint it white, or use some chemical blackener for it, I'm not sure which way I'll go yet. I started by drilling a hole in the reel for the winch...

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck546-vi

The "rope" was placed into the hole...

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck547-vi

And the pieces I will use to join the "rope" to the "hook", something from the jewelry section of Hobby Lobby...crimp tubes! I've got enough in this small package to last me a lifetime!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck548-vi

The reel with the "rope" wrapped around it...

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck549-vi

And the hook end pulled off of the reel. I'll need to add a small loop at the top of the bow in the boat, but a small piece of 26 gauge wire should do the trick nicely for that!

1965 Chevy Pickup & Hemi Hydro combo - Page 29 ToneysTributeTruck550-vi
Custom Mike
Custom Mike

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:57 am
Form here on out, it's all new stuff, this is where this build sits as of right now. We're supposed to be in the upper 60's Sunday, so with a space heater in the shed on high, I should be able to fix the paint on the boat finally and get it finished off!
fletch
fletch
http://www.fletcher-db.com

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:32 am
Looks real good. I like the winch idea, the wire actually looks quite real. If you could get it to look like steel wire, color wise, it would be perfect.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum